Gauri Sawant, participated next with singer Usha Uthup. Gauri Sawant was introduced vis-a-vis a video of her story filmed for Mother’s Day earlier this year. Tai said that the young girl, who played the role of her daughter in the short film, is not her daughter.
Gauri Sawant is a 37 year old transgender activist.
Born as Ganesh Suresh Sawant, she was born and raised in a conservative family in Pune. At a very early age of 9, after her mother’s demise, Gauri realised that she is different from others.
Gauri underwent transition with the help of Humsafar Trust. It was a struggle, but Gauri formed an NGO of her own called ‘Sakhi Char Chowghi’ in Malad, Mumbai.
Dressed in a white saree, walking through the slums of Malvani Malad, we met Gauri Sawant, also known as Khala. Gauri Sawant, born and raised in Pune, is a transgender living in Mumbai for more than 20 years.
- 243010 AM000000100000001830 2017
- 293010 SepamSat, 23 Sep 2017 10:31:18 +00002017-09-23T10:31:18+00:0010 2018
- 53010 AM000000100000001830 2014
- 23Sat, 23 Sep 2017 10:31:18 +000023 rd+00:00p30+00:0009b+00:00Sat, 23 Sep 2017 10:31:18 +0000 2017
- 3Sat, 23 Sep 2017 10:31:18 +000023 62017v+00:0009b+00:00Sat, 23 Sep 2017 10:31:18 +0000 2017
Gauri Sawant, a 37-year-old transgender activist, has decided to build a home for the children of sex workers, using her own patch of land, with the hope that given the right environment and coupled with love and support, these children can become anything they would want to be, instead of falling back to the cycle.